Paint Set, Dye & Tru Oil - 2 Tones Sunburst
IT HAS NEVER BEEN EASIER TO BUILD, PAINT AND MAKE YOUR OWN UNIQUE GUITAR WITH OUR SUNBURST PAINT SET!
This painting set contains all you need to paint your guitar kit - body and neck- in vintage sunburst with 2 tones by using dye and tru oil. Many types of sunburst finishes have been developed and graduated, but here are the inspirations from "Vintage Sunburst" style that we would like to propose to you. Note that this guitar paint kit is a 2 tones sunburst. The edge of the body will be in black and for the center of the body you can use any dye color we have available.
When selecting your paint products, some are optionals. We have already preselected for you the optional products that are highly recommended to obtain a nice finish. We invite you to readjust at your convenience based on product description below and in particular to choose yourself the required products, such as colors and varnishes.
* This paint set are oil and alcool based product and are not very toxic. Still we strongly suggest the used of gloves. But compared to nitrocellulose or polyurethane finish you don't realy need a respiratory mask or a aerated place.
* All our finishing kit has been tested by our experts. Finishing guitar products include VAT. Free shipping for a total order >£230 for UK destinations.
1. Selecting Materials
The guitar finish materials we propose can be needed if you don’t have it already. Please look to each product individually in the Materials category to understand better the use of each products we propose here:
- Sanding Paper Set is definitely something you will need (if you don’t have it). During the painting of your guitar you will have to sand your wood several times to make sure to have a smooth and perfect finish.
- Copper Tape is needed to remove electromagnetic interference and make sure that your pick-up will provide a clean sound without background noise.
- Sample Wood can be very useful if you purchase a guitar kit with ash or mahogany. It will be exactly the same wood so you can try your finish upfront to make sure you will have it right when doing it on your guitar body and neck.
- Gloves and Brush are available if you don't have it and you want to apply the varnish with a brush and keep your hands clean.
2. Wood Preparation
- For open pore wood such as mahogany or ash, if you want to have intense dye color while making sure to have a smooth surface results when apply the varnish, we suggest to use a grain filler. With Dye we recommend a colorless grain filler such as natural one or you can choose a colored grain filler if it suits more your guitar paint project. Using a brush or cloth to apply the tru oil you don't need.
- For close pore woods such as maple or basewood, you can apply only tru oil after the dye. No sealer or grain filler is mandatory.
3. Coloring the Wood
Select 2 different colors of to paint the body and get the sunburst effect:
- 1x dye of the color of your choice color is needed for the edge of the body.
- 1x dye of the color of your choice is needed for the center of the body.
Note that you will have selected dye left over which you can use for the neck, headstock, etc. Also it is easier to create a Sunburst with a dye darker for the edge than the dye use for the center of the body.
4. Varnishing Guitar Body & Neck
3oz (90mL) of tru oil is normally enough to apply 10 to15 coats for the guitar body and the neck and varnish it entirely. However if the pore of the wood is not filled very well or/and it is your first time painting a guitar you might want to get a 8oz bottle (240mL) of tru oil to make sure you will have plenty enough to do a nice finish. The best is to apply the tru oil with a cloth the same way you will apply dye. The coats will therefore very thin which is why you need normally to put lots of coats to get a beautiful finish. You need to let it dry at least 12hrs between each coats.
5. Polishing the Guitar Body & Neck (Optional)
To get a super high gloss, a mirror effect, a protective layer and avoid slightly dull finish, we recommend the polishing set. Still you will get already a very good results without it but it will bring your guitar paint to the next level.
Additional details can be found on each products available in the Guitar Finishing category. Also a complete user guide will be provided when requested by email.