Paint Set, Dye & Waterbase - 2 Color Sunburst
IT HAS NEVER BEEN EASIER TO BUILD, PAINT AND MAKE YOUR OWN UNIQUE GUITAR WITH OUR SUNBURST PAINT SET!
This painting set contains all you need to paint your guitar kit in vintage sunburst with 2 tones by using dye and waterbase varnish. Many types of sunburst finishes have been developed and graduated, but here are for you to have complete freedom to choose any color of your choice for the edge and the center of the body. Note that this guitar paint kit is a 2 tones sunburst.
When selecting your paint products, some are optionals. We have already preselected for you the optional products that are highly recommended to obtain a nice finish. We invite you to readjust at your convenience based on product description below and in particular to choose yourself the required products, such as colors and varnishes.
*This paint set are alcool and water based and are therefore almost non toxic. We only advice the used of gloves. You don’t need a aerated space or respirator mask as Nitrocellulose or Polyurethane finish. All our finishing kit has been tested by our experts. Finishing guitar products include VAT. Free shipping for a total order >£230 for UK destinations.
1. Selecting Materials
The guitar finish materials we propose can be needed if you don’t have it already. Please look to each product individually in the Materials category to understand better the use of each products we propose here:
- Sanding Paper Set is definitely something you will need (if you don’t have it). During the painting of your guitar you will have to sand your wood several times to make sure to have a smooth and perfect finish.
- Copper Tape is needed to remove electromagnetic interference and make sure that your pick-up will provide a clean sound without background noise.
- Sample Wood can be very useful if you purchase a guitar kit with ash or mahogany. It will be exactly the same wood so you can try your finish upfront to make sure you will have it right when doing it on your guitar body and neck.
- Gloves and Brush are available if you don't have it and you want to apply the varnish with a brush and keep your hands clean.
- Rechargeable Spray and Recharge is something you might want to consider if you purchase nitrocellulose, polyurethane or waterbase finishing in bottle and don't have a spray gun. Although you can achieve very good results using a brush, It will allow homogeneous and simpler application of the paint and varnish.
2. Wood Preparation
- For open pore wood such as mahogany or ash, if you want to have intense dye color while making sure to have a smooth surface results when apply the varnish, we advice to use a grain filler. With Dye we recommend a colorless grain filler such as natural one or you can choose a colored grain filler if it suits more your guitr paint project. You can also apply a clear sealer as well after tint your wood with the dye. We suggest the use of clear sealer (after the dye application) if you use a spray or spray gun to apply the varnish to get a perfect smooth results. If you use a brush it we dont really recommend it (as the varnish will fill the remaining imperfection easily).
- For close pore woods such as maple or bassewood, we suggest to use a clear sealer only if you used a spray or spray gun. It wont be necessary otherwise. Applying more coats of varnish instead of clear sealer is also an alternative but less efficient and more expensive.
3. Coloring the Wood
Two Nitro spray is required to paint the body and get the sunburst effect:
- 1x dye of the color of your choice is needed for the edge of the body.
- 1x dye of the color of your choice is needed for the center of the body. Note that you will have selected dye left over which you can use for the neck, headstock, etc. Once Sunburst done you might want to apply a clear sealer. It remains optional as highlight in the Wood Preparation Section.
4. Varnishing Guitar Body & Neck
1 Liter of varnish is more than enough to get a good finish for both the neck and the guitar body:
- ~600mL for the guitar body
- ~400mL for the guitar neck
Note that you can select matt or gloss finish. Using a brush along with sanding with different level of sanding paper will provide you excellent finish. Still you can use the rechargeable spray if you prefer for the last coats for instance to make sure to have a homogeneous and apply thin layer of varnish.
5. Polishing the Guitar Body & Neck (Optional)
To get a super high gloss, a mirror effect, a protective layer and avoid slightly dull finish, we recommend the polishing set. Still you will get already a very good results without it but it enhances further the finish of your guitar.
Additional details can be found on each products available in the Guitar Finishing category. Also a complete user guide will be provided when requested by email.